Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Meal Planning

As I mentioned yesterday I try to plan our meals at least two weeks at a time. Before I go grocery shopping a I make a list of our dinners that we would like to have for the next two weeks and plan my grocery list accordingly. In between our big shopping trips we have one smaller (sometimes two) trips to pick up fresh fruit and veggies.

Here is our list of dinners for the next two weeks. I write out this list and post in on the refrigerator. Due to my work schedule there are many evenings when hubby either has to make dinner or at least get it started. Having this list posted has eliminated the guess work in choosing a meal. I try to pick a few super fast and easy meals and a few more "comfort food" types of meals.

Shrimp and Scallop Risotto
Wedding Soup
Shrimp and Broccoli Alfredo
Turkey Tacos
Turkey Burgers
BBQ chicken Sandwiches
Turkey Sloppy Joes
Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup
Red Curry Snapper with Bok choy and mushrooms
Breaded Chicken Sandwiches

I thought today I'd share the recipe I use for Alfredo. (This is NOT a low cal and super healthy meal but it comes together quickly and is very good) This is a great basic sauce and I just add whatever I feel like to it. This week it's shrimp and broccoli for us.

FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
1/2 cup butter (use the real stuff)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1teaspoon garlic powder
salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
dash cayenne pepper
1 lb. fettuccine
Fresh parsley, chopped
Prepare fettuccine, drain
Stir in a few drops of olive oil to keep pasta from sticking.
In a saucepan over low to medium heat, melt the butter.
Add cream, garlic and cayenne.
Simmer 20-30 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove saucepan from stove and stir in cheese.
Serve over hot pasta. Garnish with parsley.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments: